Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Computers

One of the things I am struck about just about every time I turn on a computer is how difficult they are to use. It is much too hard to use most computer programs that do anything beyond writing words. The actual productive work time is much lower than it should be.

I do not know why this is the case. I do not have any theory as to why so few people have written useful interfaces.

My friend Rufus Blooter was saying that a huge amount of infrastructure spending could go to making more intuitive interfaces with government websites and technology. I agree.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:27 PM , Blogger pyker said...

We could start by redesigning New York's half-assed MTA ticket machine interface.

 
At 3:29 PM , Blogger pyker said...

To be fair, I consistently find Apple and Adobe to put out high-quality software. Numerous small vendors have done excellent work as well. Most software is crap, but there are gems.

What specific applications are you frustrated with?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home