C# . Yeah, but...
Ok - I've decided on C# as the language to learn well. I don't really know how to choose between languages, its a classic problem of too much information. What criteria should I use?
I decided on C# because lots of people are using it, and lots of financial firms are using it, and because Repast, an agent based modeling project, has extensions in C#.
Also and probably most importantly, it has a VIDEO series on how to program, which has several videos on how to use the IDE. Java, where are you my man? C++, can't you do something like this?
Most books start you using notebook files and the command prompt!! And then, you don't write any working code for a few chapters. Lets face it, using 1980s technology is a big, big turnoff to learning a language. Why would you want to simulate a black screen with white letters on todays computers, for any reason?
And IDEs, when you are a newbie, are totally confusing because they are so helpful to experienced users. Why don't they have a video game that teaches you the IDE? Learning to use the IDE teaches basics of programming at the same time!! And Jave, C++, you just don't get it do you.
Sorry, this is my rant about learning to program. I don't think there is any other creative outlet in the world that insists on such a huge, huge learning curve just to get the basics. Ok, there may not be any widely used human behavior that has such a steep learning curve. Think about how much further along in programming we would be if the start wasn't so confusing. It turns off many, many people.
I always tell people about learning the guitar, that the first 6 months are the most difficult. With programming, conceptually, OOP is really useful and easy(Summary: if it takes more than a page of code or doesn't work yet, write another method or property. If you can't do something, write pretend code that says you can, then refer to rule one) , its only learning the language and IDE that is difficult in any way at all. So I chose C# because there was a very good tutorial on how to get started.

1 Comments:
Michael, Have you thought about using Java for simulation development with the release of the new version? Have you downloaded and played with AnyLogic? It supports Java extensively and you can compile the simulations for distribution across the net via Java applets. out the Simudyne web site for more information. Btw, long time no chate, how are you doing? What are you up to these days? Drop me a note at justin at simudyne.com.
Post a Comment
<< Home